Thursday, November 02, 2006

Hoop Dreams

Tonight is the first night of the 2006-2007 season of Gator Basketball. The defending National Champions are playing an “exhibition” game against Northwood at the O’Dome.

I have never been a season ticket holder in basketball – until this year. In years past, I either scalped tickets in Gainesville, or bought them when the Gators would play at another forum. Last year, I was fortunate enough to sit courtside when Florida played Miami in Coral Gables due to the generosity of a friend. It felt like a home game – most of the crowd was wearing Orange & Blue. When the Gators won, chants of "It's great to be a Florida Gator" echoed in the stadium.

This year, Gator Boosters and the athletic association decided to start a booster level program for basketball based on the blueprint used for Gator football. I decided to join at the “2nd” level from top; called the “Starting Five Club” (the highest level is called the “06 Club”).

I received 4 season tickets, and a parking pass, and am going to roll up to Gainesville tonight to see the game. It will be interesting to see how having season tickets for basketball works out – since some games are on weeknights, I won’t be able to attend them all (or even a majority). I will re-analyze at season’s end if it was the right choice to get season tickets.

Until then – Go GATORS! I am looking forward to seeing the team defend their title.

No comments: